As the crypto industry continues to grow, it’s no surprise to see many of the best cryptocurrencies seek out new ways to integrate into society and add more convenience to their usage for their investors. For this reason, we now see many have begun introducing their own crypto debit cards.
But what is a crypto debit card? What is the best crypto debit card? And how do I get a crypto debit card? Our guide will answer all these questions and more below.
What is a Crypto Debit Card?
A crypto debit card is a debit card that is connected directly to your crypto wallet. This card will allow the user to use their cryptocurrency for transactions by converting it to fiat currency. They work just like a debit card connected to your bank account.
Many crypto debit cards are accepted by major retailers around the world and are partnered with either VISA or MasterCard as a distributor. You will need to already own crypto tokens and a crypto wallet to obtain and use your crypto debit card.
Best Bitcoin Debit Cards of 2022
BlockFi Visa Card
|Limited currencies supported
|Account to earn interest on stablecoins
|Low reward rates
|BlockFi is a completely custodial crypto bank
- Fees: No application fee, no annual fee, and no foreign transaction fees
- No. of Crypto Supported: 8
- Rewards: 1.5% cashback in Bitcoin purchases, 3.5% on purchases for first six months after application
- Limits: $25,000
The BlockFi Visa Card is one of the top crypto debit cards for users seeking out cashback rewards. For the first six months, you’ll earn up to 3.5% on all your purchases, and afterwards an unlimited 1.5% cashback on all BTC purchases. Card holders can also receive additional rewards for all friend referrals.
Crypto.com Visa Card
|Supports many currencies
|Must purchase Crypto.com’s CRO tokens for cashback rewards
|Discounts on cash withdrawals from ATMs
|High staking requirements for most card tiers
|Get 100% cashback on streaming platforms like Netflix and Spotify
|Low monthly ATM limits on lower tier cards
- Fees: No annual fee
- No. of Crypto Supported: 90+
- Rewards: Up to 8% cashback (with 10-100% on select purchases), 100% cryptoback on Spotify, Netflix, Airport Lounge Access, Amazon Prime
- Limits: Daily Limit = $10,000; Monthly Limit = $25,000; Yearly Limit = No limit
The Crypto.com Visa Card is definitely one of the most popular crypto debit cards available, probably because it supports so many currencies. The catch here is that, on the surface, the cashback rewards look great, but the devil is in the details. In order to claim said rewards, you will need to purchase and stake a good amount of CRO tokens from Crypto.com. Still, many opt-in for this choice to take advantage of their cashback program on popular streaming services like Netflix and Amazon Prime.
|Supports all major cryptos
|High conversion fees
|Contactless mobile payments
|Not available everywhere
|Up to 4% cashback
- Fees: No annual fee or foreign transaction fees; $4.95 card issuance fee
- No. of Crypto Supported: 8
- Rewards: Up to 4% cashback reward on purchases
- Limits: $2,500/day
Another popular crypto debit card is the Coinbase Visa Card. This card supports many of the most popular cryptocurrencies and wallets. However, there is a very high 2.49% conversion rate with this card that you may want to consider before signing up. But, Coinbase is known for their high levels of security, and you can make and track all purchases via their mobile app.
|Zero card fees
|MasterCard not as widely accepted globally as Visa cards
|Create virtual cards for online shopping
|Only available to users on Nexo platform with Nexo wallet
|Single tap card freezing
- Fees: Card is free of chard; no monthly, annual or inactivity fees
- No. of Crypto Supported: 39
- Rewards: 2% cashback on all purchases
- Limits: Monthly = $60,000, Daily = $10,000
Nexo MasterCard has a unique feature where users can borrow against their crypto to earn tax benefits. You can repay this loan in either fiat or crypto monies. However, if you are looking for a simple crypto card just to access your crypto holdings, this card probably isn’t for you. The 2% cashback reward is available in either BTC or Nexo tokens.
|No exchange fees to acquire your crypto rewards
|Low cashback rate
|Manage and freeze your card on the mobile app
|Only available in United States
|Get rewards in crypto of your choice
|No welcome offer
- Fees: No annual or foreign transaction fees.
- No. of Crypto Supported: 60+
- Rewards: Earn up to 3% on dining, 2% on groceries and 1% on other purchases
- Limits: Annual = $6,000
The Gemini MasterCard offers various cashback rewards, but the overall rate on these is rather low compared to a lot of the other crypto debit cards on this list. However, it is nice to be able to choose the cryptocurrency your rewards come back to you as. You can choose from any cryptocurrency supported by Gemini.
BlockCard Visa Card
|Excellent rewards program
|Converts your crypto to TERN tokens
|Earn rewards with referral program
|High exchange rates
|Low staking requirements
|Not great for small transactions
- Fees: $10 issuance fee, $5 monthly fee
- No. of Crypto Supported: 15+
- Rewards: Up to 6.38% cashback rewards
- Limits: Daily = $5,000
BlockCard is another crypto debit card where you will need to covert your crypto into its specific TERN tokens to enjoy the rewards program. However, the rewards program is one of the better ones, where you can enjoy 6%+ cashback. BlockCard users who do not spend at least $750 per month via their card will incur a $5 user fee.
|Instant top-ups when you link your debit/credit card
|Hidden 1.5% exchange fees
|Crypto funds held in cold storage for additional security
|Not accepted in all locations
|Zero ATM fees up to $250
|Monthly maitnenance fee
- Fees: No card issuance fee, 1% fee on topping up with crypto
- No. of Crypto Supported: 150+
- Rewards: Up to 8% cashback rewards for all in-store purchases
- Limits: Per Transaction = $10,000; Daily = $50,000
The Wirex Visa card is perfect for those new to crypto. This card comes with some of the lowest fees you’ll find, including no ATM fees on transactions up to $250. The downsides here is that there is an exchange rate of 1.5% hidden in the fine print and a small monthly maintenance fee.
Binance Visa Card
|Does not support Apple Pay
|Can be used world-wide
|Lots of limits and restrictions on cashback rewards program
|Comes from one of the top and most secure companies in the crypto industry
|Cashback only available in BNB
- Fees: No monthly or annual exchange fees, no issuance fees
- No. of Crypto Supported: 14
- Rewards: Up to 8% cashback
- Limits: Virtual Card = €870 daily; Physical Card = €8,700 daily
What’s great about the Binance Visa card is its low fees and excellent cashback rewards of up to 8%. However, they don’t accept many types of crypto and Apple users will not like the lack of Apple Pay support. But if you are a BNB crypto investor, this card is the obvious choice for you.
|No monthly fee
|$5 inactivity fee
|Supports multiple Bitcoin wallets
|No cashback rewards or benefits
|Referral rewards program
|High ATM withdrawal limits
- Fees: $10 issuance fee, no maintenance fee
- No. of Crypto Supported: 11
- Rewards: $10 refer a friend program
- Limits: Daily = $10,000
The BitPay MasterCard is coming from one of the oldest BTC companies in the industry. The card can be attached to nearly any crypto wallet and automatically converts your crypto into USD. There are no staking requirements attached to this card, but also there are no rewards to earn. Their site claims they give “instant cash back” upon purchases, but there is no information on how this is achieved.
|Easily manage the card with mobile app
|Hidden fees in exchange rates
|Earn returns on digital currency holdings
|Not widely available
|Supports many cryptos
|$10 issuance fee
- Fees: $10 issuance fee, no maintenance fees, but if using a Debit/Credit Card to fund your account, a fee of 3.99% applies
- No. of Crypto Supported: 30+
- Rewards: 2% cashback available on purchases made with cryptocurrency
- Limits: Daily = $2,500
While the Uphold MasterCard may have hidden fees, the fees are rather low compared to other crypto cards. Uphold is also a more than reputable company that has been in the crypto space since 2014. You can also use this card for all the most popular cryptocurrencies. Currently, you will need to join a waitlist to obtain the Uphold debit card.
How to Get a Cryptocurrency Debit Card
Now that you have selected which card you want, you’ll need to go through the necessary process of obtaining it. Many crypto card companies will let you choose between virtual or physical cards or both. Follow these steps to obtain your crypto debit card today.
- Step 1: Go to the card company or crypto exchange’s website or mobile app.
- Step 2: If you do not yet have an account, you will need to create one.
- Step 3: Validate your account. Processes will vary from site to site.
- Step 4: Select the tier of card you want if applicable.
- Step 5: Create a PIN.
- Step 6: Receive your card. For shipping of physical cards, expect 7-14 business days.
Does cryptocurrency have a debit card?
Yes, you can get a crypto debit card for your preferred cryptocurrency. There are a number of debit cards for you to choose from, and not all of them carry all currencies. Check to make sure your favorite crypto can be used with the card you choose.
What are the benefits of a crypto debit card?
The biggest benefit to a crypto debit card is that it allows you to spend your crypto for transactions as you would fiat money. Most cards exchange your crypto into stablecoins or fiat currency for these transactions. The most popular crypto debit cards are partnered with Visa and MasterCard carriers, making them accepted across the globe.
Which crypto debit card is best?
The best crypto debit card will be determined on what you are searching for in a card. Crypto debit cards offer excellent benefits, including cashback rewards, no ATM fees, and rewards on your favorite streaming services (like Netflix and Amazon).